Wednesday 4 March 2020

Daffodil through the Storms


One brave daffodil in my garden bloomed on February 7th! Since then it has experienced hailstorms, violent winds and torrential rain! But, apart from bending gently in the wind, it is still standing upright and smiling brightly, cheering me every time I look out of my window!



God has spoken to me through that small delicate flower. Although there may be storms and even hard hailstones falling, I can stand in God's grace ~ He will give me strength and peace. There is only one thing needed from me - to just lean into Him - ie: trust Him! To trust what He says in His Word.

Look again at that verse from Hebrews which I shared yesterday: 
        "For God Himself has said .... therefore we may boldly say .... " !
 When God says something, it is sure and certain. He is unchanging and totally to be relied upon. Therefore we can say it too, and as we speak God's Word out, faith grows. AND our roots go deeper into Him, so, that like that daffodil, we can stand during the trials, and even bring encouragement and blessing and hope to others.

I keep a pile of file cards by my bed, all with verses I have written on them, and I read a few every night before I go to sleep. The ones I have collected over the years are all promises for strength, health and healing, and about God's love and care for me. These scriptures sink in deeper than mind level, and come part of my being, and it is amazing how trust and faith in the Lord grow and flourish. I am sure that many of you reading this, who have been in the Word for years, know what I am talking about. 

This is definitely a time to reaffirm our trust in our loving faithful God, to tell Him we trust Him, to sink back into the arms of the only One Who will be able to keep us in these days.

I took a neighbour to a garden Centre today, to shop and have lunch together. It was interesting to hear from someone who would not call herself a believer, talking about the fear of the corona virus and also the anxiety. Her daughter and son-in-law run a business which depends on imports from China. The factory in China is closed and they have not been able to find any similar outlet in this country. This is an anxious worrying time for those who have a living to earn. I was able to share with her a little about the peace Jesus gives and will print out some scriptures for her, but, without Christ, people are fearful and their only hope is that it might all go away!

Yesterday was a global Day of Prayer, and we can truly believe that our heavenly Father will work. At the same time, we need to take every opportunity to get our own lives entrenched in the Word of God, and in His love and protection - but more on that tomorrow.

Meanwhile be a daffodil where you are. Stand in the grace of Jesus. Bend gently in the wind of the Spirit, and bless your family, your friends and your neighbours, schoolfriends and colleagues. 

"He [God] Himself has said, I will not in any way fail you nor give you up nor leave you without support. I will not, I will not, I will not in any degree leave you helpless, nor forsake nor let you down, relax My hold on you! Assuredly not!   So we take comfort and are encouraged and confidently and boldly say, 
                     The Lord is my Helper ......"   Heb 13:5b, 6
"and this is the victory that conquers the world, even our faith."            1 John 5:4


"Yet in all these things we are more than conquerors through Him Who loved us." Romans 8:37





No comments:

Post a Comment